Apple iPhone, Apple iMac, And All Things Apple Reviewed

This website is dedicated to a thorough review of the things Apple

Sunday, July 13, 2008

How to fix Black Screen of Death with Iphone 3G

Hi All You Iphone 3G Pioneers,

I spent 4 hours on tech support. The one saving grace was everyone was real nice, American, and real knowledgeable. If you read some of the posts below you will see I had a lot of application crashes on my Iphone 3G and then it gave me the screen of death - Just the apple logo and nothing else on a black screen.

Well the solution was easy. Just turn off your iPhone - some of you might be saying, "I can't turn off my iPhone", don't worry I was there with you. I was really scared I was going to get radiation sickness from this iPhone turning into an iBrick stuck in the pre-boot always on position. Well to force your iPhone to turn off you need to hold down the Sleep/Wake button (the button below the screen) and the power button (silver button on top) for 10 seconds and when the screen flashes off let go. If you don't let go in time the iPhone will turn back on and you will have to try again until the unit is completely off.

Then turn on your computer and start iTunes. Do not start iTunes with the Iphone 3g connected.

Once iTunes is started and warmed up get ready to connect the iPhone but before you do hold down the Sleep/Wake button (the button below the screen) and do let go of this button until I tell you too :)

Connect the iphone 3g to the computer while holding down the sleep wake button. The screen will flash around and may show you the logo but have faith. Eventually you will see the cord pointing to the computer logo that you saw when you first purchased the iPhone. This is a great sign and means your on your way to using your iPhone again!

Eventually iTunes will pick it up and will start to do a restore after you select a few obvious choices.

I hope this helps. I was sure I would have to be without a phone for a day or so.

My hats off to tech support at Apple.

Labels: